Monday 11 January 2016

January 2016 crafty ideas by Lela Moon

January 2016 crafty ideas by Lela Moon.

These little ideas are going to be simple and quick. They are the sort of thing that can be done on your own or with your children.

Hopefully every month I will post 3 little ideas.

1. A tree that can change with the seasons
2. Salt dough discs with natures imprints
3. Wreath for the door

Basic salt dough recipe:

(This is not the same as play dough).

2 cups plain flour.
1 cup of salt.
A little oil
Water , I found with this it’s about 1 cup but I add a little at a time and more if needed.


Knead into a ball that doesn’t stick to your hands. Add more flour if it’s sticking
This can be kept in the fridge for ages if covered.




Make your object then bake in the oven on the lowest temp for as long as it takes to go hard.

You can also use an airing cupboard or the oven after cooking when turned off.

Just for your information play dough recipe is:
2 cups flour
1 cup of salt
Dessert spoon of oil
2 teaspoons of cream of tartar
2 cups of water
Food colouring or paint if you want
Herbs if you want to add texture for sensory dough
And a good plop of essence of your choice if you want.


Put in a large sauce pan and cook. Its hard work stirring it ..Once it is all in a lump take out and leave to cool then kneed. Cover or use . This will last for ages if it kept covered.

The Season Tree

I collect birch twigs every day on my walk to make into a broom or to cover archways or wooden fences in the garden but also I use them to make wreaths.

So to make the tree:

Make your salt dough and then take a little and make it into a ball, stick twigs in it and then put it somewhere warm to dry out….it is that simple...then come the spring you can add little bits of white/pink tissue paper to make blossom and then little bits of green in the summer and red in the autumn.

Job done and a tree for your altar all year round.

Children love to do this.





To make the discs:

I went out into the garden and picked a small holly leaf, sprig of rosemary, an ivy leaf and a small fern leaf.

Take a small ball of salt dough, roll out and then cut out disc shapes, I use a small glass.  Press in the leaf and roll over again.



Cut again if the disc has become too big,  take out the leaf and bake in a warm oven until hard. I put mine on grease proof paper.




Then they can be painted or just covered in PVA glue.

Make sure your disc is fairly thin as it will rise a bit when you cook it or dry very slowly.

Easy peasy. I use these for parcel labels or place settings or just decoration.

Door wreath

I have one on my door all year round and add things to it each season.

So today I picked up some birch twigs that had fallen from the tree, I never cut them off the tree as there are always loads on the ground.



Make into a circle, I use cable ties to hold them but you could use string or wire whatever you have at home.

Add more bits to make a bit of a circle .

Then add what you want..I got ivy from the garden and twisted it in.
I then tied it to the door.



Hope you enjoy x




Lela Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment