Monday 21 February 2011

You Never Know Until You Try


I had a really wonderful day last weekend. A group of friends getting together to eat, chat and craft. Not all of us were crafters, but by the end of the day there were numerous finished pieces, ladders, charms, poppets and even a gorgeous Fimo figurine. But what really inspired me was that even the non-crafters made some lovely things and even discovered unknown skills, and if they hadn't given it a go, they would never have known!

It got me thinking about all the skills I have discovered myself over the past years, especially over the past couple of years. I have discovered that there are poets that I enjoy reading, and that I CAN write my own too! I have written parts of a whole story alongside compatriots, and that they have been rather good. I have discovered the art of Haiku, the not-so-simple Japanese "poems", three lines, 5 syllables in the first line, seven in the second and 5 in the third.

I used to be quite good at art at school, no good with paints, but chalk pastel was my medium. I hadn't drawn for years, got out of the habit and then I couldn't put to paper what was in my mind. But then, I was encouraged by friends. I say encouraged, had paper and pencil thrust into my hand and demanded that I draw...and now - I have then plan of launching my own cross-stitch designs.

I have been a very determined solitary all these years, then I got together with a group of like-minded people and find myself attending rituals. While I know I don't want a leading part in these rtuals (I have discovered that I definitely don't like being the focus of that much attention) I also know that I quite like sharing those experiences.

I have found that I don't have to pander to prima-donnas and that I can stand my own ground. I've found how personally empowering this can be too! And I know that if I hadn't stuck to certain decisions, if I had chosen the easy way, the more comfortable way, the way of inaction - then I wouldn't be where I am now. I am very much enjoying where I'm at, and wouldn't have it at all if I hadn't given things a try.

Love and hugs

Blaidd

2 comments:

  1. You are so right Blaidd, I connect with everything you have said. There are always different paths to choose but I believe if you stretch yourself, dare to come out of the 'comfort zone' you will find your true self and hey you might even like her!!! lol x Blessings to you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this.....my journey at the Mists made me get out my pen and paper and was the first place I shared my poetry with people who weren't my close circle and even won one or two poetry contests!! I think it is good to have a safe haven to do these things and little groups such as you describe is the perfect medium to get your witchy groove on!!! yay for you!!!
    luv Moley

    ReplyDelete